Saturday, March 29, 2008

wasnt train-ed for this

"..dhadak dhadak,dhadak dhadak, dhua udaaye re ..

shit ! what a pain ...can't they keep an extra handle to hold here. i almost fell while inside the 'western-style' toilet in the speeding Udyan express. Somehow managed to flush and came out. Phew.. what a relief. Started to stretch and looked at my new Titan, it was 7.20 AM on a bright Sunday morning and the train was in the middle-of-somewhere in the rocky deccan plateau. Thought of getting some fresh air and headed for the nearest door.

"Che che .. what a fool I have been" he muttered for the second consequetive time. Startled, i looked at the man beside me..was pretty decent looking with a day-old stub on the chin, a light blue shirt with a reddish ochre scarf. "I cant believe this could happen" said he, dangerously leaning out of the door. i got curious and looked at him again. He gave me a stare with those cold black eyes which soon decided to reveal me the miseries.

man- "I have been a fool all this while !"

me- "is there a something amiss ?"

man - "look at that mountain, can you see that temple on top?"

i looked at a passing mountain but couldn't find the temple he was referring to. Pretending to be interested i asked, "ya i see it..what about it ?"

man - "I missed my destination"

me- "oh .. where were you supposed to get down ??"

man- "about 10 mins ago"

me- "hmm....dont worry, you can get down at the next one. its gonna take another 20 mins"

man- "yes thats why I'm standing here you see"

me -"i see...maybe you could relax a bit, a cuppa coffee would definitely soothe your anxiety ?"

man- "can you spot that bull there ?"

me- "what ??? i mean ..?". Some kinda wierdo this guy was turning out to be.

man- "someone stole my car and I lost my baggage too"

me- "oh poor you. is there anyway i can be of help ?"

He said something and the engine had to blow its horn at that moment. "sorry i couldnt hear you". He was keenly staring at something over my head and i turned back to look. All i could find was something written on the train. "No Smoking. Penalty upto.." bah.

This conversation was heading nowhere and moreover i started feeling sleepy. Thought of heading back to my seat. "Ok mister, take care, and good luck on finding your destination, car and your baggage". Yawn. What a bore.

man- "oh I found all of them"
me- "what ??"

The next morning paper had my photo. The head was split in half because of hitting the adjacent track with a large momentum. The man had come for my soul.

..dhadak dhadak,dhadak dhadak, mujhe bulaye re .."

1 comment:

Etchu Kitchu said...

Nice story! Has an ending that makes you read it again :) Looking forward to more. --Somi